Rhubarb is abundant in the spring. I grew up with it and Mom always made cakes and pies. Everyone in my family loves the tartness of the flavor...especially the men in my family.
My German friend Stephanie is an amazing cook. She gave me this recipe in the early spring. This cake is AMAZZZING and it is now on my "Favorite List". If you like rhubarb...you must try it!
(By the way...I'm making up a couple cakes today in honor of those men for Father's Day.)
What you will need:
*Please try to purchase the finest and freshest ingredients. If you are local, I found Rhubarb at the Valli Grocery store.
1/2 c butter
1 1/2 cups of white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
4 cups of rhubarb, chopped in pieces
2 tablespoon all purpose flour
2 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1. in a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla
2. In another bowl, sift together 2 cups flour, soda, and salt. Add sifted ingredients alternately with buttermilk to creamed mixture. MIX WELL with each addition.
3. Toss rhubarb with 1 tablespoon flour, and stir into batter. Spoon batter into buttered 9 x 13 inch pan and smooth the surface,\.
4. Blend together 1/4 cup butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar, sprinkle evenly over batter.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes